March 9, 2020
The Board of Directors of the Webster City Community School District in the counties of Hamilton, Webster and Wright, State of Iowa, met in regular session Monday, March 9, 2020, in the School Administration Building, Webster City, Iowa.
ITEM 1. – Call to Order – The Board President called the meeting to order at 6:00 p.m.
ITEM 2. – Roll Call – Members answering roll call were Ms. Van Diest, Mr. Patterson, Mr. Stroner, Mr. Pruismann and Ms. Williams. Also present were members of the media and other interested parties.
ITEM 3. – Approval of Agenda – It was moved by Mr. Patterson, seconded by Mr. Pruismann, to approve the agenda as written. Motion carried.
ITEM 4. – Open Comment to the Board – The Board was presented with a letter from a parent stating concerns with recent events at the High School.
ITEM 5. – Discussion Items – There were none.
ITEM 6. – Student Recognition
- High School Wrestling – Chad Hisler, Head High School Wrestling Coach, recognized two of his state qualifiers, Nick Gasca and Cam Phetxoumphone who was undefeated in the season and the 6th Webster City state champion. The Board congratulated them on their accomplishments.
ITEM 7. – Action Items
- Riverview Property – A motion was made by Mr. Stroner, seconded by Mr. Patterson, to authorize Administration to take action to consider options related to the sale of the Riverview property. Motion carried.
- Fundraising Request – A motion was made by Mr. Stroner, seconded by Mr. Pruismann, to approve the Band Boosters to sell t-shirts in support of a High School student’s fight against cancer. Motion carried.
- Board’s Initial Proposal to Webster City Education Association – Dr. Ross read the Board’s initial contract proposal to Webster City Education Association which includes a total package increase of 2.22%.
- Board’s Initial Proposal to WCESA – Dr. Ross read the Board’s initial contract proposal to Webster City Educational Services Association which includes a total package increase of 2.42%.
ITEM 8. - Personnel
- Contract Recommendations - A motion was made by Mr. Pruismann, seconded by Mr. Patterson, to approve the following:
- Resignation of Denice Meyer, Nurse’s Secretary.
- Recommendation of appointments for :
- Greta Nelson - Spring Play Advisor
- Emily Pruismann – Kindergarten
- Melissa Plagge – High School P.E.
- Marta Paukert – High School Guidance Counselor
ITEM 9. – Other
- Items from the Board
- Mr. Stroner asked if there were any new updates on the Coronavirus. Dr. Ross is monitoring the situation with the help of Lea Ahrens and Cindi Sweedler, school nurses.
- Items from Dr. Ross
- Dr. Ross thanked the students and staff from the High School for meeting with her last week.
- Dr. Ross reported she is monitoring the Coronavirus situation and has sent information out to parents and staff and will update as situations warrant.
- Dr. Ross attended the Career Academy in Eagle Grove Superintendents’ meeting last Friday. She reported that they will be offering a Computer Science program via Zoom next year.
- Dr. Ross and Mindy Mossman attended the Iowa State Job Fair on March 2nd promoting our District and Community.
- Next Wednesday Dr. Ross will be attending a “Listening” meeting hosted by the City of Webster City.
- Dr. Ross reported the Mentoring program recently received a gift from the Rotary Club.
ITEM 10. – Consent Items – It was moved by Mr. Stroner, seconded by Ms. Williams, to approve the minutes of the February 24, 2020 Board Meeting, payment of the bills and claims as listed at the close of these minutes, to approve General, Schoolhouse, Lunch and Activity Fund Reports, approve the interfund transfer, and approve the fundraising report. Motion carried.
ITEM 11. – Adjournment - A motion was made by Mr. Patterson, seconded by Mr. Stroner, to adjourn the meeting at 6:32 p.m. Motion carried, all members present voting aye.
The next Regular Board Meeting will be Monday, March 23rd at 6:00 p.m. at the School Administration Office Board Room. Board Meetings are subject to change dependent upon need.
Cathi Hildebrand, Secretary Beth Van Diest, President