The Board of Directors of the Webster City Community School District in the counties of Hamilton, Webster and Wright, State of Iowa, met in regular session Monday, August 26, 2019, in the School Administration Building, Webster City, Iowa.
ITEM 1. – Call to Order – The Board President called the meeting to order at 6:03 p.m.
ITEM 2. – Roll Call – Members answering roll call were Ms. Van Diest, Mr. Patterson, Mr. Stroner, Mr. Bonjour, and Ms. Williams. Also present were members of the media and other interested parties.
ITEM 3. – Approval of Agenda – It was moved by Ms. Williams, seconded by Mr. Bonjour, to approve the agenda as written. Motion carried.
ITEM 4. – Open Comment to the Board – Kelli Reis, Sunset Heights Elementary Principal, reported on how smoothly the first day of school went. Students and staff were excited to start the new school year.
ITEM 5. – Discussion Items
a. Facilities Priorities – The Board was given a list of facilities priorities determined at the work session held on Monday, August 19th.
ITEM 6. – Action Items
a. Voter-Approved PPEL Rate – A motion was made by Mr. Bonjour, seconded by Mr. Patterson, to approve the voter approved PPEL rate of 77 cents per $1,000 of
assessed valuation which is a 10 cent increase over the current rate. Motion carried. The public will be asked to approve this rate at the election on Tuesday,
b. Fundraising Requests – A motion was made by Mr. Stroner, seconded by Mr. Bonjour, to approve the FFA fundraiser requests for Homecoming T-Shirts and
Sweatshirts, Greenhouse Plant Sales, and Fruit Sales. Motion carried
ITEM 7. – Personnel
a. Resignations – A motion was made by Mr. Patterson, seconded by Mr. Bonjour, to approve the following:
Recommendation for Resignations from:
- Kacey Pruismann, Paraeducator
- Mindy Law, Paraeducator
Mavis Chen, Paraeducator
Recommendation for transfers from:
- Deb Dunham from Title I Reading to Kindergarten
Recommendation for appointments of:
- Stephanie Pace, Large Group Speech
- Derek Turner, Head 7th Boys Basketball
- Mentor Teaching Staff
ITEM 8. - Other
a. Items from the Board – There were none.
b. Items from Dr. Ross
- Dr. Ross reported she visited each building in the District and Stratford this morning. It was a smooth start to the school year.
- The Board walk-through of the High School building will be on Thursday, September 5th from 4:00 – 5:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, August 21st was the kick-off breakfast for all staff held at the Middle School commons with standing room only. Dr. Ross asked staff members to fill out cards with two items they are proud of or appreciate in the District and one thing they would like to see improvement on. She received 217 responses. The top four things staff are proud of and appreciate are: Staff, Collaboration, Welcoming Environment, and Student Centeredness. Areas for improvement suggestions included: Air Conditioning in all buildings and help with at risk students including additional training.
ITEM 9. – Consent Items – It was moved by Ms. Williams, seconded by Mr. Stroner, to approve the minutes of the August 12, 2019 Board Meeting. Motion carried.
ITEM 10. – Adjournment - A motion was made by Mr. Patterson, seconded by Mr. Stroner, to adjourn the meeting at 6:30 p.m. Motion carried, all members present voting aye.
The next Regular Board Meeting will be Monday, September 9th at 6:00 p.m. at the School Administration Office Board Room.
Cathi Hildebrand, Secretary
Beth Van Diest, President