The Board of Directors of the Webster City Community School District in the counties of Hamilton, Webster and Wright, State of Iowa, met in regular session Monday, December 9 2019, in the School Administration Building, Webster City, Iowa.
ITEM 1. – Call to Order – The Board President called the meeting to order at 6:01 p.m.
ITEM 2. – Roll Call – Members answering roll call were Ms. Van Diest, Mr. Patterson, Mr. Stroner, Mr. Bonjour and Ms. Williams. Also present were members of the media and other interested parties.
ITEM 3. – Approval of Agenda – It was moved by Mr. Patterson, seconded by Mr. Bonjour, to approve the agenda with one change to consent items. Motion carried.
ITEM 4. – Open Comment to the Board – There was none.
ITEM 5. – Approval of Minutes of Last Regular Meeting – A motion was made by Mr. Bonjour, seconded by Ms. Williams, to approve the minutes of November 11, 2019 Board Meeting. Motion carried.
ITEM 6. – Review Official Results of School Board Election – Cathi Hildebrand, SBO/School Board Secretary, read the official results from the November 5th School Board Election.
- Director at Large
- Todd Lovelace – 457 votes
- Marlin Pruismann – 728 votes
- Scattering – 1 vote
Marlin Pruismann duly elected for the office of Webster City School Board – Director at Large
- Director District 2
- Beth Van Diest – 1,054 votes
- Scattering – 5 votes
Beth Van Diest duly elected for the office of Webster City School Board – Director District 2
- Public Measure JA (a 10-year Voter-approved Physical Plant and Equipment Levy not to exceed $.77 per one thousand dollars of the assessed valuation of the taxable property within the school district)
- Yes – 862 votes
- No – 317 votes
Public Measure JA was adopted.
Both candidates were sworn on November 25th.
ITEM 7. – Adjournment of Retiring Board – A motion was made by Mr. Stroner, seconded by Mr. Bonjour, to adjourn the Retiring Board at 6:05 p.m. Motion carried.
ITEM 8. – Call to Order and Roll Call (New Board) – Cathi Hildebrand, Board Secretary called the meeting of the new Board to order at 6:07 p.m. and called the roll. Members answering roll call were Ms. Van Diest, Mr. Patterson, Mr. Stroner, Mr. Pruismann, and Ms. Williams.
ITEM 9. – Election of President and Vice President - It was moved by Ms. Williams, seconded by Mr. Patterson, to nominate Beth Van Diest for School Board President. Motion carried. A motion was made by Mr. Pruismann, seconded by Mr. Stroner, to nominate Eric Patterson for School Board Vice President. Motion carried.
ITEM 10. – Administration of Oath of Office to Newly Elected President and Vice President – Cathi Hildebrand, SBO/School Board Secretary, administered the oath of office to newly-elected Board President, Beth Van Diest and newly-elected Board Vice President, Eric Patterson and turned the meeting over to President Van Diest.
ITEM 11. – Mrs. Ross’ 11th Grade Revolution World Studies Class Presentation – Mrs. Ross and two of her 11th grade Revolution World Studies class presented. During their study of the French Revolution, students were asked to compare the French Revolution to a current revolution. One student chose the Central African Republic which has been in a civil war since 2012. Due to what they learned during this project, students decided to do several projects to raise money which will be donated to UNICEF to buy food and supplies for children of the Central African Republic.
ITEM 12. – Iowa Statewide Assessment of Student Progress Presentation – Jama Hisler, Director of Teaching and Learning, presented the Board with information on the new ISASP which was given for the first time last spring to students in grades 3 – 11. Teachers and parents will have access to three reports: Individual Student Reports, Class Roster Reports, and School Level Achievement Summary Report.
ITEM 13. - Discussion Items
- First Reading of Board Policy 501.5 Attendance Center Assignment – A motion was made by Mr. Patterson, seconded by Ms. Williams, to approve the first reading of Board Policy 501.5. Motion carried.
ITEM 14. – Action Items
- Fundraising Requests – A motion was made by Mr. Stroner, seconded by Mr. Pruismann, to approve Mrs. Ross’ 11th Grade Revolution World Studies call to raise money for UNICEF by way of the following: a coin war, hat and jeans day, silent auction, and Hy-Vee round up to nearest dollar. Motion carried.
- Protective Equipment Funds Transfer – A motion was made by Mr. Stroner, seconded by Mr. Patterson, to approve the Protective Equipment Funds Transfer in the amount of $121.20. Motion carried.
- School Budget Review Committee (SBRC) Request for Modified Allowable Growth – A motion was made by Mr. Pruismann, seconded by Ms. Williams, to approve the SBRC request for modified allowable growth for increasing enrollment and ELL beyond 5 years in the amount of $473,755.68. Motion carried.
- Second Reading of Board Policies 701, 710, 712.1, and 722 - A motion was made by Mr. Stroner, seconded by Ms. Williams, to table Board Policy 701 until the next Board meeting and to approve the second reading of Board Policies 710, 712.1, and 722. Motion carried.
- Education Contracts – A motion was made by Mr. Patterson, seconded by Mr. Pruismann, to approve contracts for student services with Mason City CSD and Sioux City CSD. Motion carried.
- Hiring Manual – A motion was made by Mr. Patterson, seconded by Mr. Stroner, to approve the Webster City Community School District’s hiring manual. Motion carried.
- Scholarship Donation – A motion was made by Mr. Stroner, seconded by Ms. Williams, to approve the donation of $200,000.00 for the Cleo Graham Memorial Art Scholarship. Motion carried.
ITEM 15 - Other
- Items from the Board
- Beth Van Diest reported she attended parent night for the First Lego League regional competition. The theme this year is City Shaper.
- Items from Dr. Ross
- Dr. Ross attended the Lego League competition on Saturday. She received several compliments on how organized the competition was.
- Dr. Ross thanked the Board for attending the work session with Harry Hiligenthal on Wednesday, December 4th.
- Dr. Ross attended the community Christmas Concert at Asbury United Methodist Church on Sunday.
- Dr. Ross was a guest host at Van Diest Medical Center on Sunday afternoon.
- Dr. Ross reminded everyone of the basketball game on Friday night being held at Jeff Gym.
- Dr. Ross attended the music concert at Northeast Hamilton Elementary on Thursday, December 5th.
- Dr. Ross reminded everyone of the music concert at the High School Monday, December 9th at 7:30 p.m.
ITEM 16 - Consent Items – It was moved by Mr. Stroner, seconded by Ms. Williams, to approve payment of the bills and claims as listed at the close of these minutes, to approve General, Schoolhouse, Lunch and Activity Fund Reports, approve the interfund transfer, and approve the fundraising report. Motion carried.
ITEM 17. - Adjournment - A motion was made by Mr. Patterson, seconded by Mr. Stroner, to adjourn the meeting at 7:05 p.m. Motion carried, all members present voting aye.
The next Regular Board Meeting will be Monday, January 13th at 6:00 p.m. at the School Administration Office Board Room. Board Meetings are subject to change dependent upon need.
Cathi Hildebrand, Secretary Beth Van Diest, President