February 24, 2020
The Board of Directors of the Webster City Community School District in the counties of Hamilton, Webster and Wright, State of Iowa, met in regular session Monday, February 24, 2020, in the School Administration Building, Webster City, Iowa.
ITEM 1. – Call to Order – The Board President called the meeting to order at 6:00 p.m.
ITEM 2. – Roll Call – Members answering roll call were Ms. Van Diest, Mr. Patterson, Mr. Stroner, Mr. Pruismann, and Ms. Williams, via telephone. Also present were members of the media and other interested parties.
ITEM 3. – Approval of Agenda – It was moved by Mr. Stroner, seconded by Mr. Patterson, to approve the agenda with voluntary transfer added under personnel and item 9c tabled until a future Board meeting. Motion carried.
Beth Van Diest, Board President, read a statement to the public addressing the process for updating Board Policies each year.
ITEM 4. – Open Comment to the Board – Several members of the community stated their concern about raising prices for building use. The Board responded this has always been in Board policy. The Board is still looking into how other districts charge for building use and this will be addressed at a future meeting.
ITEM 5. - WCEA Initial Proposal – Trish Bahrenfuss, bargaining committee member, presented the Board with the initial bargaining proposal from the Webster City Education Association for 2020-2021. The Association is asking for a salary increase of 4.72%, several language changes, and for the contract to be in effect from July 1, 2020 thru June 30, 2023.
ITEM 6. – WCESA Initial Proposal – Dr. Ross presented the Board with the initial bargaining proposal from the Webster City Educational Services Association. The Association is asking for all salary schedules to increase by $1.00 on base for food services, secretary, para-educators, and custodial; and transportation base shall increase by $100; all employees shall advance on step for 2020-2021.
ITEM 7. - Prairie Lakes AEA Overview – Jeff Herzberg, AEA Chief Administrator, presented the Board with information on staff and services provided by Prairie Lakes Area Education Association.
ITEM 8. - Discussion Items – There were none.
ITEM 9 - Action Items
- Gifts – Hy-Vee – A motion was made by Mr. Stroner, seconded by Mr. Pruismann, to approve accepting a donation of $130 and reduced pricing on goods supporting the WCMS Winter Attendance Initiative. Motion carried.
- Second Reading of Board Policy Series 900 – A motion was made by Mr. Stroner, seconded by Mr. Patterson, to approve the second reading of Board Policies Series 900, omitting 902.1 and 902.4. Motion carried.
- First Reading of Board Policy 906.1 Community Use of District Facilities & Equipment. – This item was tabled and will be discussed at a future Board meeting.
- Fundraising Request – A motion was made by Mr. Patterson, seconded by Mr. Stroner to approve the Prom Bowling Marathon. Motion carried.
ITEM 10. - Personnel
- Contract Recommendations – A motion was made by Mr. Pruismann, seconded by Mr. Stroner to approve the following:
- Resignation of Megan Ginther, 7th Grade Assistant Volleyball Coach.
- Recommendation of appointment for Kathy Biere, School Business Official/Board Secretary, effective July 1, 2020.
- Recommendation of voluntary transfer of Deb Dunham to the Title I vacancy.
ITEM 11. – Other
- Items from the Board
- Mr. Stroner asked for the Board minutes to be emailed to Board members following each meeting.
- Items from Dr. Ross
- Dr. Ross made a clarification regarding professional development days for the 2020-2021 school year which will be 1 full day each month during the months of September, October, January, February, April, and May. There will not be a professional development day in November, December or March.
- Dr. Ross congratulated the Webster City wrestlers for going to State, especially Cam Phetxoumphone for winning his weight division.
- Dr. Ross presented the Board with a flyer promoting Webster City Community Schools. The District will be participating in a job fair at Iowa State University on Monday, March 2nd and these will be handed out there and they are available at the Administration building.
ITEM 12. - Consent Items – It was moved by Mr. Stroner, seconded by Mr. Pruismann, to approve the minutes of the February 10, 2020 Board Meeting. Motion carried.
ITEM 13. – Adjournment - A motion was made by Mr. Patterson, seconded by Mr. Stroner, to adjourn the meeting at 6:46 p.m. Motion carried, all members present voting aye.
Following the regular Board meeting, the Board met in a work session on District Facilities. No action was taken during the work session and the session was open to the public.
The next Regular Board Meeting will be Monday, March 9th at 6:00 p.m. at the School Administration Office Board Room.