The Board of Directors of the Webster City Community School District in the counties of Hamilton, Webster and Wright, State of Iowa, met in regular session Monday, July 15, 2019, in the School Administration Building, Webster City, Iowa.
ITEM 1. – Call to Order – The Board President called the meeting to order at 6:00 p.m.
ITEM 2. – Roll Call – Members answering roll call were Ms. Van Diest, Mr. Patterson, Mr. Stroner, Mr. Bonjour, and Ms. Williams. Also present were members of the media and other interested parties.
ITEM 3. – Approval of Agenda – It was moved by Mr. Stroner, seconded by Mr. Patterson, to approve the agenda with a change in the order of the discussion items, a change in action item number 8, a deletion of one contract recommendation, and adding Lead Learner contracts under Personnel. Motion carried.
ITEM 4. – Open Comment to the Board – There were none.
ITEM 5. – Appointment of Board Secretary – A motion was made by Ms. Williams, seconded by Mr. Stroner, to appoint Cathi Hildebrand as Board Secretary for 2019-2020 school year. Motion carried.
ITEM 6. – Administration of Oath of Office to Board Secretary – Beth Van Diest, Board President, administered the Oath of Office to newly elected Board Secretary, Cathi Hildebrand.
ITEM 7. – Discussion Items
a. Clarification on 3 and 4-year old transportation – Ted Larson, Director of Transportation, Jessica Hector, Northeast Hamilton Elementary Principal, and Mindy
Mossman, Pleasant View Elementary Principal, presented the Board with information on transporting 3 and 4 year old pre-school students. Due to safety issues
and the fact that there is no funding for 3 year old pre-school, 3 year old pre-school students will not be transported to and from school. Four year old students will
continue to be transported, as needed.
b. Voter approved PPEL for November, 2019 – Dr. Ross reported due to the fact that the voter-approved PPEL will expire at the end of the 2019-2020 school year,
the measure will be taken to the voters on November 5, 2019 for renewal. The Board was given information on how much the current voter-approved PPEL
generates, what those funds can be used for and asked to consider whether they want to increase the levy. More information will be discussed at future Board
ITEM 8. - Action Items
a. Revised 28E Agreement with Stratford Community School District – A motion was made by Mr. Stroner, seconded by Mr. Bonjour, to approve the revised 28e
agreement with Stratford Community School District for shared Superintendent. Motion carried.
b. 28E Agreements – A motion was made by Ms. Williams, seconded by Mr. Patterson, to approve 28e agreements with South Hamilton and Stratford Community
School Districts for shared personnel. Motion carried.
c. North Central Consortium School Contract – A motion was made by Mr. Bonjour, seconded by Ms. Williams, to approve the contract with North Central
Consortium School for student services for the 2019-2020 school year. Motion carried.
d. Regular Education Contract with Sioux City Community School District – A motion was made by Mr. Patterson, seconded by Mr. Bonjour, to approve the contract
for student education services with Sioux City Community School District. Motion carried.
e. Third Reading of Board Policy 502.4, Use of Motor Vehicles - A motion was made by Mr. Stroner, seconded by Mr. Bonjour, to approve the third reading of Board
Policy 502.4, Use of Motor Vehicles. Motion carried.
f. Board Approved Procedures for Equity Audit – A motion was made by Mr. Patterson, seconded by Mr. Stroner, to approve the Board-approved procedures for the
Equity Audit as presented. Motion carried.
g. Interfund Transfer – A motion was made by Mr. Bonjour, seconded by Mr. Patterson, to approve the interfund transfer for safety equipment. Motion carried.
h. Designation of Financial Depositories and Limits for District Funds – A motion was made by Mr. Stroner, seconded by Mr. Bonjour, to approve the Designation of
Financial Depositories and Limits for District Funds as presented, with one correction. Motion carried.
i. Fundraising Request – A motion was made by Mr. Patterson, seconded by Mr. Stroner, to approve the High School Football Team’s annual card sales. Motion
ITEM 9. – Personnel
a. Resignations – A motion was made by Mr. Stroner, seconded by Mr. Bonjour, to approve the following:
Recommendation for Resignations from:
- Virginia Nilles, Paraeducator at Pleasant View Elementary
- Jeff Lyons, 7th Boys Basketball Coach
- Jeff Lyons, 7th Boys Baseball Coach·
Recommendation for Transfers from:
- Sandy Ausenhus from 4th Grade Instructor to M.S. Special Education Instructor
- Jerilyn Hippen from Sunset Heights Paraeducator to High School Paraeducator
- Kristy Peck from 7th ELA/History Instructor to 7th & 8th ELA/History Instructor
- Beth Meyer from 7th Math/Science Instructor to 7th & 8th Math/Science Instructor
- Megan Allison from 7th Math/Science Instructor to 7th Math Instructor
- Rebekah Eggers from 7th Science/Social Studies Instructor to 7th Science Instructor
- Megan Kostka-Dietz from 5th Grade Instructor to 7th ELA/Social Studies Instructor
- Evan Mossman from Middle School P.E. Instructor to Northeast Hamilton Elementary and Stratford Elementary P.E. Instructor
· Recommendation for appointments of:
- William Brock, Middle School Associate Principal
- Jessica Hector from Middle School Associate Principal to Northeast Hamilton Elementary Principal
- Derek Turner, 4th Grade Instructor
- Kayleigh Epps, Middle School P.E. Instructor
- Heather Sanders, High School Science Instructor
- Rebecca Blair, NEH Guidance
- Tyler Mosbach, Head 7th Boys Track Coach
- Bill Bertran, Head Varsity Girls Golf Coach
- Derek Turner, Assistant Varsity Cross Country Coach
- Jessica Butterfield-Bailey, part-time Secretary at Pleasant View Elementary
- Virginia Velasquez, part-time Secretary at Pleasant View Elementary
- Brooke Henry, Paraeducator at Pleasant View Elementary
- Tammy Massman – Lead Learner – Northeast Hamilton Elementary – 3rd Grade
- Katie Peterson – Lead Learner – Pleasant View Elementary Special Education
- Michelle Lovelace – Lead Learner – Pleasant View Elementary – Title 1
- Kristin Elm – Lead Learner - Pleasant View Elementary – 1st grade
- Diane Bahrenfuss – Lead Learner - Sunset Heights Elementary – 3rd Grade
- Libby Anderson – Lead Learner - Sunset Heights Elementary – 4th Grade
- Molly Ferrell – Lead Learner - Sunset Heights Elementary – 3rd Grade
- Rachael Hansen – Lead Learner – Sunset Heights Elementary – 2nd Grade
- Lauren Blaisdell – Lead Learner – Middle School – 5th Grade
- Erica Miller – Lead Learner – Middle School – 8th Grade
- Nicole Muhlenbruch – Lead Learner – Middle School - 8th Grade
- C.J. Clabaugh – Lead Learner – Middle School – 6th Grade
- Beth Meyer – Lead Learner – Middle School – 7th Grade
- Julie Pagel – Lead Learner – Middle School – 7th/8th Grade Computer Applications
- Jeri Jass – Lead Learner – High School – English
- Danika Klaver – Lead Learner – High School – Science
- Stacy Zoske – Lead Learner – High School – Family Consumer Science
- Amanda Ross – Lead Learner – High School – Social Studies
- Julie Kramersmeier – Lead Learner - High School – Business
- Sally Greenfield – Lead Learner - High School – Counselor
- Katie Sonsalla – Lead Learner – High School - Spanish
ITEM 10. – Consent Items – It was moved by Ms. Williams, seconded by Mr. Bonjour, to approve the minutes of the June 10, 2019, Webster City Regular Board meeting, the June 10,, 2019 Interim Board Meeting, the June 19, 2019 Northeast Hamilton Board Meeting, payment of the bills and claims as listed at the close of these minutes, to approve General, Schoolhouse, Lunch and Activity Fund Reports, to approve the interfund transfer, and approve the Fundraising Report. Motion carried.
a. Items from the Board
- Mr. Stroner reported he accompanied WCTV students as they filmed river cleanup last week. They have been asked to do a documentary on “Doodlebugs” for their annual convention held in Webster City.
- Mr. Bonjour asked to look into adding signage at Northeast Hamilton Elementary as they are now part of the Webster City Community School District.
- Mr. Stroner reported the Career Ag Academy will be presented with funds from the Hotel/Motel tax at the Webster City Council Meeting on July 15th.
b. Items from Dr. Ross
- Dr. Ross presented the Board with the updated Equity Audit Corrective Action Plan.
- Dr. Ross asked the Board to consider not committing to a Board Policy regarding replacing trees, but to look at each occurrence individually. Mr. Bonjour also asked to look at the type of trees the District is planting to avoid a lot of extra upkeep.
- Dr. Ross announced the printed school calendars will be available in August. School calendars are also available online.
- Dr. Ross reported that there will be Riverview updates at the August 12 Board Meeting.
- The Board was presented with photos of recent work done on Jeff Gym.
- The Board was presented with the facilities study done by FEH Design. There will be a work session on August 12th to discuss the study further.
- Online registration has begun and is going well. Parents who do not have access to a computer at home may come to the Administration Building to register their students for school.
ITEM 12. - Adjournment - A motion was made by Mr. Bonjour, seconded by Mr. Patterson, to adjourn the meeting at 7:10 p.m. Motion carried, all members present voting aye.
The next Board Meeting will be Monday, August 12th at 6:00 p.m. at the School Administration Office Board Room.
Cathi Hildebrand, Secretary
Beth Van Diest, President