The Board of Directors of the Webster City Community School District in the counties of Hamilton, Webster and Wright, State of Iowa, met in regular session Monday, November 11 2019, in the School Administration Building, Webster City, Iowa.
ITEM 1. – Call to Order – The Board President called the meeting to order at 5:00 p.m.
ITEM 2. – Roll Call – Members answering roll call were Ms. Van Diest, Mr. Patterson, Mr. Stroner, Mr. Bonjour and Ms. Williams. Also present were members of the media and other interested parties.
ITEM 3. – Approval of Agenda – It was moved by Ms. Williams, seconded by Mr. Bonjour, to approve the agenda as written. Motion carried.
ITEM 4. – Open Comment to the Board – There was none.
ITEM 5. – Discussion Items
a. Reorganization One-Time Monies – Dr. Ross presented the Board with information on plans for the reorganization one-time monies. This year, money will be set
aside for cash flow purposes, to help with the cost of air conditioning at the elementary buildings, and a new web site. A portion of the money will also be used for
any emergencies that may arise.
b. First Reading of Board Policies 701, 710, 712.1, and 722 – A motion was made by Mr. Bonjour, seconded by Mr. Stroner, to approve the first reading of Board
Policies 701, 710, and 712.1. Motion carried. The Board asked for changes to Policy 722 which will be brought back for a first reading at the next Board meeting.
ITEM 6. – Action Items
a. Early Retirement Plan – A motion was made by Mr. Stroner, seconded by Mr. Patterson, to approve the Early Retirement Plan for 2019-2020. Motion carried.
b. Second Reading of Board Policy Series 700 – A motion was made by Mr. Stroner, seconded by Mr. Bonjour, to approve the second reading of Board Policy
Series 700. Motion carried.
c. Prairie Lakes AEA Director District Number 7 Representative – A motion was made by Mr. Patterson, seconded by Mr. Bonjour, to approve voting for Todd
Lundgren for Prairie Lakes AEA Director District Number 7 Representative. Motion carried.
d. Protective Equipment Funds Transfer – A motion was made by Mr. Stroner, seconded by Mr. Patterson, to approve the Protective Equipment Funds Transfer in
the amount of $976.70. Motion carried.
e. Debt Service General Obligation Bond Interest Payment – A motion was made by Mr. Bonjour, seconded by Mr. Stroner, to approve the Debt Service General
Obligation Bond Interest Payment in the amount of $176,681.29. Motion carried.
f. Fundraising Requests – A motion was made by Mr. Patterson, seconded by Ms. Williams, to approve Middle School Chorus to sell Butter Braids; High School
Student Council to host a Kids Karnival; and High School Spanish Club to sell cut-out sugar cookies. Motion carried.
g. Education Contract – A motion was made by Ms. Williams, seconded by Mr. Patterson, to approve the education contract for student services with Ames
Community School District. Motion carried.
h. Amended Substitute Pay Rate for Accompanist – A motion was made by Mr. Bonjour, seconded by Mr. Stroner, to approve amending the 2019-2020 Substitute
Pay Rate schedule by adding accompanist pay rate of $20.00 per hour with a maximum of 110 hours per year. Motion carried.
ITEM 7. - Personnel Action
a. Contract Recommendation – A motion was made by Mr. Patterson, seconded by Mr. Stroner, to approve Tyler Mosbach as Assistant 7th Boys Basketball Coach.
ITEM 8. – Other
a. Items from the Board
- Mr. Stroner announced the Veteran’s Day celebrations at the Middle School and High School had been a great success. He thanked Lisa Jorgenson, Middle School Teacher, for helping with the program at the Middle School for the last 22 years and Pat Farley, High School Assistant Principal, for helping with the program at the High School for 2 years now.
- Ms. Williams asked for clarification between hours and days with regards to early outs and late starts and if these will need to be made up to meet the Department of Education requirements.
b. Items from Dr. Ross
- Dr. Ross presented the Board with a copy of the letter of support sent to the Career Ag Academy.
- Dr. Ross announced at the December 9th Board meeting, there will be an adjournment of the current Board and the new Board will be seated
- The Board was given the option of two dates for a work session with Harry Hiligenthal from Iowa Association of School Boards.
- Dr. Ross thanked the residents of Webster City Community School District for getting out to vote and for passing the PPEL (Physical Plant and Equipment Levy) on November 4th.
- Dr. Ross thanked all Veterans for their service to our country.
ITEM 9. – Consent Items – It was moved by Mr. Bonjour, seconded by Ms. Williams, to approve the minutes of the October 28, 2019 Board Meeting, payment of the bills and claims as listed at the close of these minutes, to approve General, Schoolhouse, Lunch and Activity Fund Reports, approve the interfund transfer, and approve the fundraising report. Motion carried.
ITEM 10. - Adjournment - A motion was made by Mr. Stroner, seconded by Mr. Patterson, to adjourn the meeting at 5:40 p.m. Motion carried, all members present voting aye.
The next Regular Board Meeting will be Monday, December 9th at 6:00 p.m. at the School Administration Office Board Room. Board Meetings are subject to change dependent upon need.
Cathi Hildebrand, Secretary
Beth Van Diest, President