The Board of Directors of the Webster City Community School District in the counties of Hamilton, Webster and Wright, State of Iowa, met in regular session Monday, August 12, 2019, in the School Administration Building, Webster City, Iowa.
ITEM 1. – Call to Order – The Board President called the meeting to order at 6:00 p.m.
ITEM 2. – Roll Call – Members answering roll call were Ms. Van Diest, Mr. Stroner, and Mr. Bonjour. Also present were members of the media and other interested parties. Mr. Patterson and Ms. Williams were absent.
ITEM 3. – Approval of Agenda – It was moved by Mr. Stroner, seconded by Mr. Bonjour, to approve the agenda as written. Motion carried.
ITEM 4. – Open Comment to the Board – There were none.
ITEM 5. – Introduction of Jessica Hector, Northeast Hamilton Elementary Principal – Dr. Ross introduced Jessica Hector as the new Principal at Northeast Hamilton Elementary. Ms. Hector was previously the Middle School Associate Principal for three years.
ITEM 6. – Introduction of William Brock, Middle School Associate Principal – Dr. Ross and Jerry Buseman, Middle School Principal, introduced William Brock as our new Associate Principal at the Middle School. Mr. Brock comes to us from Ankeny.
ITEM 7. – Discussion Items
a. November Election Information – Cathi Hildebrand, Business Manager/Board Secretary, presented the Board with information on the upcoming election to be
held on November 5, 2019. We have two directors whose offices are up for election this year: Beth Van Diest, Director District 2, and Chuck Bonjour, At Large.
Paperwork can be picked up at the Business Office during normal business hours or online at:
The District voter-approved PPEL renewal will be on the ballot, as well.
ITEM 8. - Action Items
a. 28E Agreement with Stratford Community School District – A motion was made by Mr. Stroner, seconded by Mr. Bonjour, to approve the 28e agreement with
Stratford Community School District for shared Band. Motion carried.
b. Certified Staff Handbook – A motion was made by Mr. Bonjour, seconded by Mr. Stroner, to approve the certified staff handbook for 2019-2020 school year.
c. Classified Staff Handbook – A motion was made by Mr. Stroner, seconded by Mr. Bonjour, to approve the classified staff handbook for 2019-2020 school year.
d. Selection of 2020 IASB Legislative Resolutions - The Board chose their top 4 priorities to send to IASB, which include Unfunded Mandates, Mental Health,
Supplemental State Aid, and School Funding Policy.
e. Riverview Contract – After some discussion with members from Riverview Early Childhood Center and their Board of Directors, a motion was made by Mr.
Stroner, seconded by Mr. Bonjour, to approve the suggested changes to the Riverview contract pending final approval by legal counsel. Motion carried.
ITEM 9. – Personnel
a. Resignations – A motion was made by Mr. Stroner, seconded by Mr. Bonjour, to approve the following:
Recommendation for Resignations from:
- Lisa Stansfield, 4th Grade
- Beatriz Olmedo, Sunset Heights Secretary/Paraeducator
- Monica Trujillo, 8th Grade Assistant Volleyball Coach
Recommendation for appointments of:
- Heidi Barrick, 4th Grade
- Emily Loughry, Mentoring Program Facilitator
- Kristin Hammitt, Co-Cheer Coach
- Monica Trujillo, Co-Cheer Coach
- Brandi Martin, Sunset Heights Secretary/Paraeducator
- Jordan Moen, Pleasant View Paraeducator
- Stephanie Osthus, Pleasant View Paraeducator
- Chelsey Wagoner, Sunset Heights Paraeducator
- Laura Fisher, Assistant 7th Volleyball
ITEM 10. – Other
a. Items from the Board
- Mr. Stroner asked about the upcoming Board work session on Monday, August 19th. Tyler Riley from FEH Design and Mitch Dunham, Director of Building and Grounds, will be attending.
b. Items from Dr. Ross
- Dr. Ross presented the Board with the updated Equity Audit Corrective Action Plan.
- Dr. Ross reported the Administrative retreat was held on August 6th and 7th at Northeast Hamilton Elementary Media Center.
- Pre-School parent night was held on Thursday, August 8th and was very well attended.
- Dr. Ross reported the annual IASB convention is November 21st and 22nd. Board members were asked to let Mary Ellen Draeger, Secretary to the Superintendent, know if they plan to attend.
- Dr. Ross reported the office has been very busy with registrations for the 2019-2020 school year. Certified count is on October 1st and must be certified to the D.E. by October 15th.
ITEM 11. - Consent Items – It was moved by Mr. Bonjour, seconded by Mr. Stroner, to approve the minutes of the July 15, 2019 Board Meeting, payment of the bills and claims as listed at the close of these minutes, to approve General, Schoolhouse, Lunch and Activity Fund Reports, and to approve the interfund transfer. Motion carried.
ITEM 12. - Adjournment - A motion was made by Mr. Bonjour, seconded by Mr. Stroner, to adjourn the meeting at 7:10 p.m. Motion carried, all members present voting aye.
The next Regular Board Meeting will be Monday, August 26th at 6:00 p.m. at the School Administration Office Board Room.
Cathi Hildebrand, Secretary
Beth Van Diest, President