The Board of Directors of the Webster City Community School District in the counties of Hamilton, Webster and Wright, State of Iowa, met in regular session Monday, January 13, 2020, in the School Administration Building, Webster City, Iowa.
ITEM 1. – Call to Order – The Board President called the meeting to order at 6:00 p.m.
ITEM 2. – Roll Call – Members answering roll call were Ms. Van Diest, Mr. Patterson, Mr. Stroner, Mr. Pruismann and Ms. Williams. Also present were members of the media and other interested parties.
ITEM 3. – Approval of Agenda – It was moved by Mr. Patterson, seconded by Mr. Stroner, to approve the agenda as written. Motion carried.
ITEM 4. – Open Comment to the Board – There was none.
ITEM 5. – Mentoring Program Presentation – Emily Loughry, Webster City Mentoring Program Coordinator and Feleecia Watkins, YSS Mentoring Program Coordinator, presented the Board with information on the new Youth Mentoring Program at Webster City. The program was established to help 4th and 5th graders with the transition from elementary school to middle school and has been a huge success. Currently there are 4 students matched with 4 mentors at Sunset Heights Elementary and 5 students matched with 5 mentors at the Middle School.
ITEM 6. – Discussion Items
- IASB Day on the Hill – Dr. Ross informed the Board on an upcoming “Day on the Hill” to be held on January 28th from 9-4 and asked them to let her or Cathi Hildebrand know if they plan to attend.
- Kindergarten Round Up – Mindy Mossman, Pleasant View Elementary Principal, and Jessica Hector, Northeast Hamilton Elementary Principal, presented the Board with information on the upcoming Kindergarten Round Up which will be held in April. In 2020-2021 the District will have 5 sections of Kindergarten at Pleasant View Elementary and 2 sections at Northeast Hamilton Elementary.
ITEM 7. – Action Items
- Education Contract – A motion was made by Mr. Stroner, seconded by Mr. Patterson, to approve the education contract for student services with Mason City Community School District. Motion carried.
- 28E Agreement – A motion was made by Mr. Pruismann, seconded by Mr. Stroner, to approve the 28E agreement with South Hamilton Community School District for shared TAG teacher. Motion carried.
- Gifts – A motion was made by Mr. Stroner, seconded by Mr. Patterson, to accept the donation of Yoga Mats and Storage Bins from Shanti Rejuvenation Center. Motion carried.
- First Reading of Board Policy 504.2 Student Organizations – A motion was made by Ms. Williams, seconded by Mr. Stroner, to approve the first reading of Board Policy 504.2. Motion carried.
- Second Reading of Board Policies 501.5 and 701 – A motion was made by Mr. Pruismann, seconded by Mr. Stroner, to approve the second reading of Board Policies 501.5 Attendance Center Assignment and 701 Fiscal Management. Motion carried.
- AEA Lease Agreement – A motion was made by Mr. Patterson, seconded by Mr. Stroner, to approve the 2018-2019 and 2019-2020 AEA Lease Agreement addendums. Motion carried.
- Fundraising Requests – A motion was made by Mr. Patterson, seconded by Mr. Stroner, to approve Northeast Hamilton Elementary Carnival; Pleasant View and Sunset Heights Elementary Cookie Dough Fundraiser; and the High School Band Boosters’ Bake Sale and Silent Auction. Motion Carried.
- School Budget Review Committee (SBRC) Modified Allowable Growth for Dropout Prevention – A motion was made by Mr. Pruismann, seconded by Ms. Williams, to approve the SBRC Modified Allowable Growth request for Dropout Prevention in the amount of $611,257. Motion carried.
- Iowa Local Government Risk Pool – A motion was made by Mr. Pruismann, seconded by Mr. Patterson, to approve the resolution to join the Iowa Local Government Risk Pool Education Energy Group Program. Roll was called. Members answering aye: Van Diest, Patterson, Stroner, Pruismann, and Williams. Members answering nay: none. Motion carried.
- Early Retirement – Applications and Resignations - A motion was made by Mr. Patterson, seconded by Mr. Stroner, to approve Early Retirement applications and resignations at the end of the current school year from Kathy Davis, Alternative High School Teacher; Catherine Schroeder, High School P.E. Teacher, Sue Jaycox, High School Guidance Secretary; Sally Greenfield, High School Guidance Counselor; and Cathi Hildebrand, SBO/Board Secretary. Motion carried.
ITEM 8. – Personnel
- Contract Recommendations – A motion was made by Mr. Stroner, seconded by Ms. Williams, to approve contracts with Chris Blunk, Title I Reading; Tiffany Landrum, ELL; Sara Brock, Paraeducator; and Michelle Lovelace, Mentor. Motion Carried.
ITEM 9. – Other
- Items from the Board
- Mr. Pruismann reported he had been asked about 2018-2019 yearbooks. Dr. Ross will look into the matter.
- Items from Dr. Ross
- Dr. Ross reported the informal Board meeting with Stratford Board will be held at 4:30 on Wednesday, January 15th. Ms. Williams and Mr. Patterson will be representing our Board.
- In preparation for negotiations, Dr. Ross will be sending out a Doodle poll to look at dates. This year Ms. Van Diest and Mr. Stroner will work with WCEA negotiations and Mr. Patterson and Mr. Pruismann will work with WCESA negotiations.
- Dr. Ross will be looking at dates in February or March for a Facilities work session.
ITEM 10. – Consent Items – It was moved by Mr. Stroner, seconded by Mr. Pruismann, to approve the minutes of the December 9, 2019 Board Meeting, payment of the bills and claims as listed at the close of these minutes, to approve General, Schoolhouse, Lunch and Activity Fund Reports, approve the interfund transfer, and approve the fundraising report. Motion carried.
ITEM 11. – Adjournment - A motion was made by Mr. Patterson, seconded by Mr. Stroner, to adjourn the meeting at 7:10 p.m. Motion carried, all members present voting aye.
The next Regular Board Meeting will be Monday, January 27th at 6:00 p.m. at the School Administration Office Board Room. Board Meetings are subject to change dependent upon need.
Cathi Hildebrand, Secretary Beth Van Diest, President