The Board of Directors of the Webster City Community School District in the counties of Hamilton, Webster and Wright, State of Iowa, met in regular session Monday, September 23, 2019, in the School Administration Building, Webster City, Iowa.
ITEM 1. – Call to Order – The Board President called the meeting to order at 6:00 p.m.
ITEM 2. – Roll Call – Members answering roll call were Ms. Van Diest, Mr. Patterson, Mr. Stroner, and Ms. Williams. Also present were members of the media and other interested parties. Mr. Bonjour was absent.
ITEM 3. – Approval of Agenda – It was moved by Mr. Stroner, seconded by Ms. Williams, to approve the agenda as written. Motion carried.
ITEM 4. – Open Comment to the Board – There was none.
ITEM 5. – Discussion Items – There were none.
ITEM 6. – Action Items
a. Fundraising Requests – A motion was made by Mr. Stroner, seconded by Mr. Patterson, to approve fundraiser requests by WCHS Cheer to hold a Youth Cheer
Camp; High School Girls and Boys Basketball and High School Wrestling to raise money and food for the Webster City Food Bank; Middle School Band and
Choir to sell Yankee Candles; High School Student Council to hold a bake sale after school and during parent teacher conferences for the Children’s Miracle
Network; and High School Yearbook to sell advertising for the 19-20 yearbook. Motion carried
b. Approval of 2018-2019 Fixed Asset Disposals – A motion was made by Mr. Patterson, seconded by Mr. Stroner, to approve the 2018-2019 fixed asset disposals.
c. Special Education Contract – A motion was made by Mr. Stroner, seconded by Ms. Williams, to approve the Special Education Contract for student services with
Waverly-Shell Rock Community School District. Motion carried.
d. Special Education Deficit – A motion was made by Mr. Stroner, seconded by Mr. Patterson, to approve the SBRC request for Allowable Growth for the Special
Education Deficits for the 2018-2019 School year in the amount of $144,743.03 for Northeast Hamilton and $606,825.91 for Webster City, for a total of
$757,568.94. Motion carried.
e. Youth and Shelter Services Contract – A motion was made by Mr. Patterson, seconded by Ms. Williams, to approve the contract with Youth and Shelter Services
for a school-based mentoring program. Motion carried.
ITEM 7. – Personnel
a. Contract Recommendation– A motion was made by Ms. Williams, seconded by Mr. Stroner, to approve the appointment of Naomi Gragg as Northeast Hamilton
Elementary Paraeducator. Motion carried.
ITEM 8. - Other
a. Items from the Board
- Mr. Stroner asked about Board Member participation at Career Ag Academy meetings.
- Mr. Stroner asked to have the Board Policy regarding vaping at the next Board Meeting.
b. Items from Dr. Ross
- Dr. Ross reported the Freeman Journal and KQWC Radio Station helped advertise the recent open houses held at Sunset Heights Elementary, Pleasant View Elementary and the Middle School. Open houses at Northeast Hamilton Elementary will be held on Tuesday, September 24th at 5:30 and the High School on Friday, September 27th at 5:30.
- Dr. Ross is working to schedule presentations with local coffee groups and civic organizations to talk about the upcoming PPEL vote on Tuesday, November 5th.
- Professional Development was held on Monday. Morning topics were focused on Multi-Tiered Systems of Support and the afternoon was spent on differentiated learning for groups of teachers.
- The Board was given the 700 Series of Board Policies for their review and discussion at the next Board meeting.
ITEM 9. – Consent Items – It was moved by Mr. Stroner, seconded by Mr. Patterson, to approve the minutes of the September 9, 2019 Board Meeting and approve WCEA and WCESA seniority lists. Motion carried.
ITEM 10. – Adjournment - A motion was made by Mr. Patterson, seconded by Mr. Stroner, to adjourn the meeting at 6:29 p.m. Motion carried, all members present voting aye.
The next Regular Board Meeting will be Monday, October 14th at 6:00 p.m. at the School Administration Office Board Room.
Cathi Hildebrand, Secretary
Beth Van Diest, President