July 13, 2020
The Board of Directors of the Webster City Community School District in the counties of Hamilton, Webster and Wright, State of Iowa, met in regular session, July 13, 2020, in the Middle School Commons, Webster City, Iowa.
ITEM 1. – Call to Order – The Board President called the meeting to order at 6:00 p.m.
ITEM 2. – Roll Call – Members answering roll call were Ms. Van Diest, Mr. Patterson, Mr. Stroner, Mr. Pruismann and Ms. Williams. Also present were members of the media and other interested parties.
ITEM 3. – Approval of Agenda – It was moved by Mr. Pruismann, seconded by Mr. Stroner, to approve the agenda with the deletion of Board Policy 804.2 Warning System and Emergency Plans and one addition under Contract Recommendations. Motion carried unanimously.
ITEM 4. – Open Comment to the Board – There was none.
ITEM 5. – Appointment of Board Secretary – The Board appointed Kathy Biere as Board Secretary.
ITEM 6. – Administration of Oath of Office to Board Secretary – Board President Van Diest administered the Oath of Office to Kathy Biere.
ITEM 7. – Discussion Items -
- Return to Learn Plan – Dr. Ross gave a power point presentation regarding the District’s “Return to School” Plan. The District will have four Models of Learning for the 2020-2021 school year which are:
- Model 1 – In person learning for all students with mitigation procedures
- Model 2 – PK-4 students in person learning and 5-12 students on A-B Hybrid Schedule
- Model 3 – All PK-12 students on A-B Hybrid Schedule
- Model 4 – Remote learning with no students attending in person
ITEM 8. – Action Items –
- 28E Agreements – Motion by Mr. Stroner, seconded by Mr. Patterson, to approve the 28E Agreements with United Community School District and Stratford Community School District for shared personnel. Motion carried unanimously.
- Designation of Financial Depositories and Limits for District Funds – Motion by Mr. Pruismann, seconded by Mr. Stroner, to approve the Designation of Financial Depositories and Limits for District Funds as presented. Motion carried unanimously.
- Resolution for Sale of Property – Motion by Mr. Stroner, seconded by Ms. Williams, to set the Public Hearing date for the sale of property located at 705 Odell Street, Webster City, Iowa, known as Riverview Early Childhood Center. Motion carried unanimously.
- P-Card Rebate – Kathy Biere, Board Secretary, informed the Board the District received a P-Card Rebate totaling $1,431.95 for the 2019-2020 school year.
- Juvenile Court School Liaison Contract – Motion by Ms. Williams, seconded by Mr. Pruismann, to approve the Juvenile Court School Liaison Contract for the 2020-2021 school year. Motion carried unanimously.
- First Reading of Board Policies 304.1 Administrative Positions, and 308 Succession of Authority to the Superintendent. Motion by Mr. Stroner, seconded by Mr. Patterson to approve the first reading of Board Policies 304.1 Administrative Positions and 308 Succession of Authority to the Superintendent. Motion carried unanimously.
ITEM 9. - Personnel
- Contract Recommendations - A motion was made by Mr. Pruismann, seconded by Mr. Stroner, to approve the following:
- Resignations from: Stephanie Osthus, Pleasant View Paraeducator
- Recommendations of: Taylor Schnathorst, JV Volleyball, Jessica Bailey, Freshman Volleyball, Katie Evans, Co-Assistant Day Care Director, Lynnea Loughry, Day Care Worker, Sherri Olson, Day Care Cook and Abbey Pruismann, Co-Assistant Day Care Director.
Motion carried unanimously.
ITEM 10. – Other
- Items from Dr. Ross –
- Dr. Ross informed the Board the District website is up and running.
- Dr. Ross reported there will no community use of facilities at this time due to the pandemic.
- Dr. Ross informed the Board she has talked with Colette Bertran from Iowa Central Community College and they will be offering three different models for the fall – hybrid, virtual and face to face depending on the class.
- Dr. Ross informed the Board the August 10th Board Meeting will be held at the Administration Office with board members present and spread out to comply with social distancing. The meeting will be broadcast via Zoom conferencing.
- Items from the Board –
- Ms. Van Diest asked Dr. Ross to give an update on school registration. Dr. Ross said the procedure is for families to call and make an appointment to register and one person per family will be allowed in the building unless a translator is needed.
- Mr. Stroner asked if another Board Meeting in July would be needed. Dr. Ross said there would not be one at this time.
ITEM 11. – Consent Items – It was moved by Ms. Williams, seconded by Mr. Stroner, to approve the minutes of the June 29, 2020 Board Meeting, to approve General, Schoolhouse, Lunch and Activity Fund Reports, payment of the bills and claims as listed at the close of these minutes, to approve the interfund transfer and the fundraising report. Motion carried unanimously.
ITEM 12. – Adjournment - A motion was made by Mr. Patterson, seconded by Mr. Stroner, to adjourn the meeting at 6:57 p.m. Motion carried unanimously.
The next Regular Board Meeting will be Monday, August 10 at 6:00 p.m. at the School Administration Office Board Room. Board Meetings are subject to change dependent upon need.
Kathy Biere, Secretary Beth Van Diest, President