August 24, 2020
The Board of Directors of the Webster City Community School District in the counties of Hamilton, Webster and Wright, State of Iowa, met in regular session, via ZOOM Meeting, August 24, 2020, in the School Administration Building, Webster City, Iowa.
ITEM 1. – Call to Order – The Board President called the meeting to order at 6:00 p.m.
ITEM 2. – Roll Call – Members answering roll call were Ms. Van Diest, Mr. Patterson, Mr. Stroner, Mr. Pruismann and Ms. Williams. Also present, via ZOOM, were members of the media and other interested parties.
ITEM 3. – Approval of Agenda – It was moved by Mr. Stroner, seconded by Mr. Patterson, to approve the agenda with two changes. Motion carried.
ITEM 4. – Open Comment to the Board – There was none.
ITEM 5. – Discussion Items
- IASB Legislative Resolutions – After some discussion, the Board agreed to present the following legislative resolutions to the Iowa Association of School Boards:
- Mental Health
- School Funding Policy
- Dropout/At Risk
- High Speed Internet for all to facilitate remote learning
- Fall Activities Update (Joe Shanks) / Requiring Face Coverings at Athletic Events – Joe Shanks, Activities Director went over procedures in place for upcoming sports activities. Concession stands will be open with a limited menu. Workers will wear masks and gloves and hand sanitizer will be available. Activities will be live streamed for those unable to attend in person. Students will be transported, however, they will be asked to wear masks at all times and only one person per seat. The weight room is currently closed to everyone but fall athletes. Mr. Shanks’ recommendation is for everyone attending athletic events be required to wear face coverings.
ITEM 6. – Action Items
- Requiring Face Coverings at Athletic Events – A motion was made by Mr. Pruismann, seconded by Mr. Stroner, to require face coverings at all athletic events. Motion carried.
- Education Contract – A motion was made by Mr. Patterson, seconded by Mr. Stroner, to approve the regular education contract for student services with Ames Community School District. Motion carried.
- YSS Interagency Memorandum of Agreement – A motion was made by Ms. Williams, seconded by Mr. Stroner, to approve the YSS Interagency Memorandum of Agreement for School-Based Mentoring. Motion carried.
- Fundraising Request – A motion was made by Mr. Patterson, seconded by Mr. Pruismann, to approve the High School Football Team to sell Adrenaline Cards. Motion carried.
ITEM 7. - Personnel
- Contract Recommendations - A motion was made by Mr. Stroner, seconded by Mr. Patterson, to approve the following:
- Resignations from: Shirley Smith, Part-Time Food Service; Sharon Peterson, Middle School Paraeducator; Adriana Tellez, Sunset Heights Paraeducator; Jose Rivera Albino, High School Night Custodian; and Laura Fisher, Assistant 8th Grade Volleyball Coach.
- Recommendations of: Mike Keane, Bus Driver; Skylah Woodle, Pre-School Paraeducator; Anne Levongkham, Food Service; Shemika George, Part-Time Food Service; and Teacher Mentor Staff. Motion carried.
ITEM 8. – Other
- Items from the Superintendent
- Dr. Ross reported teachers were back last week. Monday, August 24th was the first day of individual orientation conferences. School starts on Wednesday, August 26th and there will be a two hour early release on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday due to heat concerns.
- Dr. Ross presented the Board with a list of remote learners by grade level. The average is 6.99% of students who have chosen to do remote learning.
- The Iowa High School Music Association is recommending students be masked and wind instruments be masked as well. Rehearsal time should be reduced to 30 minutes per session.
- The Board was presented with yearbooks from 2019-2020 school year. The Board congratulated the yearbook staff on a job well done.
- Dr. Ross reported the District has received the following gifts:
- Masks from Dr. Olerich at McFarland Clinic
- Masks from RSVP and the Webster City Chamber of Commerce
- Hand Sanitizer from Crestview Senior Living
- Items from the Board
- Ms. Van Diest shared a parent information handout she received at orientation.
- Ms. Williams commented on a new mural at the High School painted by high school student, Chaiah Rootz and congratulated her on a job well done.
- Ms. Van Diest thanked the staff for all their work getting things ready for the new school year.
ITEM 9. – Consent Items – It was moved by Mr. Stroner, seconded by Mr. Pruismann, to approve the minutes of the August 10, 2020 Board Meeting. Motion carried.
ITEM 10. – Adjournment - A motion was made by Mr. Patterson, seconded by Mr. Stroner, to adjourn the meeting at 6:59 p.m. Motion carried, all members present voting aye.
The next Regular Board Meeting is scheduled for Monday, September 14 at 6:00 p.m. at the School Administration Office Board Room. Board Meetings are subject to change dependent upon need.
Cathi Hildebrand, Secretary Pro Tem Beth Van Diest, President