September 14, 2020
The Board of Directors of the Webster City Community School District in the counties of Hamilton, Webster and Wright, State of Iowa, met in regular session, September 14, 2020, in the School Administration Office Board Room, Webster City, Iowa.
ITEM 1. – Call to Order – The Board President called the meeting to order at 6:01 p.m.
ITEM 2. – Roll Call – Members answering roll call were Mr. Pruismann, Mr. Patterson (via Zoom), Mr. Stroner, Ms. Williams and Ms. Van Diest. Also present, via Zoom, were members of the media and other interested parties.
ITEM 3. – Approval of Agenda – It was moved by Mr. Pruismann, seconded by Mr. Stroner, to approve the agenda with three changes. Motion carried unanimously.
ITEM 4. – Open Comment to the Board – There were none.
ITEM 5. – Discussion Items –
- IASB Convention – Dr. Ross provided the Board with information regarding the Iowa Association of School Boards Annual Convention which will be held virtually on November 10 and November 17-19, 2020.
- High School Parent-Teacher Conference Change Request – Dr. Ross told the Board the High School is requesting a change in the dates for parent-teacher conferences from October 26 and 28 to September 29 and December 10, which will give teachers and parents an opportunity to visit about a student’s academic progress at midpoint during each of the 9 week semesters for the blocked classes.
ITEM 6. – Action Items -
- Approval of Parent-Teacher Conference Date Change – Motion by Ms. Williams, seconded by Mr. Stroner, to approve the date change for High School Parent-Teacher conferences from October 26 and 28 to September 29 and December 10. Motion carried unanimously.
- Teachers Eligible for Lane Change – Motion by Mr. Pruismann, seconded by Mr. Stroner, to approve the 2020-2021 Teacher Lane Changes. Motion carried unanimously.
- Board Delegate for IASB Convention – Motion by Ms. Williams, seconded by Mr. Pruismann, to approve Richard Stroner as the IASB Delegate for the Webster City School Board. Motion carried unanimously.
- WCEA and ECESA Seniority Lists – Motion by Mr. Stroner, seconded by Ms. Williams, to approve the WCEA and WCESA Seniority Lists. Motion carried unanimously.
- Fundraising Requests – Motion by Mr. Stroner, seconded by Mr. Patterson, to approve fundraising requests for FFA Homecoming T-Shirts, FFA Fruit Sales, FFA Greenhouse Plant Sales; WCHS Spanish Club Butter Braid Sales; and High School Softball/Volleyball Wreath Sales. Motion carried unanimously.
- Seesaw Contracts – Motion by Mr. Stroner, seconded by Mr. Pruismann, to approve the Seesaw Contract. Motion carried unanimously.
- Gifts – Motion by Mr. Pruismann, seconded by Ms. Williams, to accept the donations toward the purchase of High School Cross Country uniforms and to accept the donation of face masks.
ITEM 8. - Personnel
- Contract Recommendations - A motion was made by Mr. Patterson, seconded by Mr. Stroner, to approve the following:
- Recommendations of: Vanessa Lopez, Sunset Heights Paraeducator; Chelsey Wagoner, Assistant 8th Volleyball Coach; and Katie Chamness, Northeast Hamilton Elementary Paraeducator. Motion carried unanimously.
ITEM 9. – Other
- Items from Dr. Ross –
- Dr. Ross told the Board she has received questions regarding when students, staff and classes might be quarantined. Dr. Ross said the internal guiding documents used to address those situations will be posted on the District’s website.
- Dr. Ross said she has received correspondence regarding High School band members kneeling during the national anthem.
- Dr. Ross told the Board the District has been approved by the USDA to start providing free breakfast and lunch to all students.
- Items from the Board –
- Mr. Stroner asked that Board Members be included in the correspondence to families when they are notified about a COVID case.
- Mr. Stroner invited band members kneeling during the national anthem to meet with American Legion members.
- Ms. Williams asked if someone tests positive and quarantines for 14 days, do they have to be tested again. They do not re-test.
- Mr. Pruismann asked if a student tests positive and the class is quarantined, what happens if there is another positive case in the same classroom at a later date. The response depends on contact tracing results.
ITEM 10. – Consent Items – It was moved by Mr. Stroner, seconded by Ms. Williams, to approve the minutes of the August 24, 2020 Board Meeting, to approve General, Schoolhouse, Lunch and Activity Fund Reports, payment of the bills and claims as listed at the close of these minutes, to approve the interfund transfer and the fundraising report. Motion carried unanimously.
ITEM 11. – Adjournment - A motion was made by Mr. Patterson, seconded by Mr. Stroner to adjourn the meeting at 6:53 p.m. Motion carried unanimously.
The next Regular Board Meeting will be Monday, September 28 at 6:00 p.m. at the School Administration Office Board Room. Board Meetings are subject to change dependent upon need.
Kathy Biere, Secretary Beth Van Diest, President