August 23, 2021
The Board of Directors of the Webster City Community School District in the counties of Hamilton, Webster and Wright, State of Iowa, met in regular session, August 23, 2021, in the School Administration Office Board Room, Webster City, Iowa.
ITEM 1. – Call to Order – The Board President called the meeting to order at 6:00 p.m.
ITEM 2. – Roll Call – Members answering roll call were Ms. Williams, Mr. Pruismann, Mr. Stroner, Mr. Patterson, and Ms. Van Diest. Also present were members of the media and other interested parties.
ITEM 3. – Approval of Agenda – It was moved by Mr. Pruismann, seconded by Mr. Patterson, to approve the agenda with the addition of an Action Item and Contract Recommendation. Motion carried unanimously.
ITEM 4. – Open Comment to the Board – Dr. Angela Olerich, McFarland Clinic, and Dr. Nikki Ehn, Van Diest Medical Clinic, asked the Board to consider protocols to address COVID for the 2021-2022 school year. They asked the Board to highly encourage masks and to provide meaningful information to parents so informed decisions can be made.
ITEM 5. – Discussion Items –
- Recognition/Naming Committee Report – Richard Stroner and Eric Patterson shared potential criteria from the Recognition/Naming Committee to honor field coaches. The committee will continue to meet in the next few weeks and will bring more information back to the September 13th board meeting.
ITEM 6. – Action Items
- Fundraising Requests – Motion by Ms. Williams, seconded by Mr. Stroner, to approve the fundraising requests for High School Choir to sell singing valentines and tickets to the annual variety show; and High School Yearbook to sell shirts for each high school graduating class, yearbook ads, and Winterfest t-shirts. Motion carried unanimously.
- Protective Equipment Transfer – Motion by Mr. Pruismann, seconded by Mr. Stroner, to approve a transfer from the general fund to the activity fund in the amount of $2,553.40 for protective equipment for the 20-21 school year. Motion carried unanimously.
ITEM 7. – Personnel – Motion by Mr. Stroner, seconded by Mr. Patterson, to approve the following:
- Contract resignations of: Vanessa Lopez, Paraeducator; Aaron Grossoehme, Bus Driver; and Katie Chamness, Paraeducator.
- Contract recommendations of: Theresa Turpen, 1st Grade; Derek Turner, Assistant High School Boys Track Coach; Laura Fisher, 8th Grade Assistant Volleyball; Adison Kehoe, Assistant 8th Grade Girls Basketball; Peggy Miller, Paraeducator; Alysha Heue, Paraeducator; John McKnight, Bus Driver; Jodi Wagner, Paraeducator; Teacher Mentors; Site Based TLC Council Members; and Building Leadership Team Members. Motion carried unanimously.
ITEM 8. – Other
- Items from Dr. Ross
- Dr. Ross shared that new teachers had orientation August 16 and August 17, staff participated in professional development on August 18 and the all staff breakfast was held at Briggs Woods Conference Center on August 19, with breakfast provided by First State Bank and Town and Country Insurance. Individual parent teacher conferences will be held August 23 and August 24, and the first day of school will be August 25. An early out is scheduled for August 25 and 26 so staff can participate in professional development. Preschool is set to begin September 1.
- Dr. Ross shared COVID protocols with the Board for the 2021-2022 school year. The document can be found on the District’s website, as well as the District’s Facebook page.
- Dr. Ross presented a 2020-2021 yearbook to each board member.
B. Items from the Board
- Ms. Williams, SIAC board member representative, said the SIAC meeting held on August 11 went very well. Items discussed at the meeting included: District goals, demographics and background history; student achievement data, facilities, and bullying/harassment. Questions the committee came up with included, “What can we do as a district to welcome others?” and “What questions can we bring back?” Anyone interested in being on the SIAC committee should contact Jama Hisler, Director of Teaching and Learning.
- Mr. Pruismann shared that he has shown the rental house in Blairsburg three times and there are two more interested parties.
ITEM 9. – Consent Items – It was moved by Mr. Stroner, seconded by Ms. Williams, to approve the minutes of the August 9, 2021 Board Meeting. Motion carried unanimously.
ITEM 10. – Adjournment - A motion was made by Mr. Patterson, seconded by Pruismann, to adjourn the meeting at 7:17 p.m. Motion carried unanimously.
The next Regular Board Meeting will be Monday, September 13, at 6:00 p.m. at the School Administration Office Board Room. Board Meetings are subject to change dependent upon need.
Kathy Biere, Secretary Beth Van Diest, President