August 9, 2021
The Board of Directors of the Webster City Community School District in the counties of Hamilton, Webster and Wright, State of Iowa, met in regular session, August 9, 2021, in the School Administration Office Board Room, Webster City, Iowa.
ITEM 1. – Call to Order – The Board President called the meeting to order at 6:00 p.m.
ITEM 2. – Roll Call – Members answering roll call were Ms. Williams, Mr. Pruismann, Mr. Stroner, Mr. Patterson, and Ms. Van Diest. Also present were members of the media and other interested parties.
ITEM 3. – Approval of Agenda – It was moved by Mr. Stroner, seconded by Ms. Williams, to approve the agenda by deleting the Discussion Item and adding a Fundraising Request. Motion carried.
ITEM 4. – Open Comment to the Board – There were none.
ITEM 5. – Discussion Items – There were none.
ITEM 6. – Action Items
- School Board Goals – Motion by Mr. Stroner, seconded by Mr. Patterson, to approve the Board goals for 2021-2022. Motion carried.
- Final Reading of Board Policy 905.2 Advertising and Promotion – Motion by Mr. Patterson, seconded by Mr. Stroner, to approve the final reading of Board Policy 905.2 Advertising and Promotion. Motion carried.
- Salvage of 2002 Bluebird Bus – Motion by Mr. Pruismann, seconded by Ms. Williams, to approve the salvage of a 2002 Bluebird bus. Motion carried.
- Textbook Inventory Disposal – Motion by Ms. Williams, seconded by Mr. Stroner, to approve the disposal of 70 2004 McDougal Littell Alegbra 1 Concepts and Skills (Alegbra A & B) textbooks. Motion carried.
- District Advisory/SIAC Committee – Motion by Mr. Patterson, seconded by Ms. Williams, to approve the District Advisory/SIAC Committee members. Motion carried.
- Solution Tree Agreement – Motion by Mr. Stroner, seconded by Ms. Williams, to approve the Solution Tree Agreement for professional development. Motion carried.
- Compass PD Agreement – Motion by Mr. Patterson, seconded by Ms. Williams, to approve the Compass PD Agreement. Motion carried.
- ICCC Project Early Bird 28E Agreement – Motion by Mr. Stroner, seconded by Ms. Williams, to approve the ICCC Project Early Bird 28E Agreement. Motion carried.
- 28E Agreements with Stratford CSD – Motion by Mr. Pruismann, seconded by Mr. Stroner, to approve the 28E agreements with Stratford for shared Teacher Librarian, Physical Education Teacher, School Business Official, School Nurse, Elementary Counselor, Transportation Director, and Talented and Gifted Teacher. Motion carried.
- Hilton Des Moines Downtown Banquet Order Agreement – Motion by Mr. Patterson, seconded by Mr. Stroner, to approve the Hilton Des Moines banquet order agreement for the Administrative Retreat. Motion carried.
- Morningside University Agreement – Motion by Ms. Williams, seconded by Mr. Stroner, to approve the Morningside University Agreement to place teacher education candidates in clinical experiences. Motion carried.
- ESSER II Resolution for Transfer of Funds – Motion by Mr. Pruismann, seconded by Mr. Stroner to approve
COVID Resolution for Transfer of Funds
WHEREAS, the global COVID-19 pandemic has created budget stress for the district’s food service fund, and
WHEREAS, the federal CARES Act funding allows for payment of supply expenses for food service during the pandemic; and
WHEREAS, funds typically available to pay for supply expenses were negatively impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic;
Now, therefore be it RESOLVED, that the Board of Directors of the Webster City Community School District, direct the district to transfer ESSER II revenues to the district’s food service fund, accordingly for the purpose of food service supply expenses due to COVID-19, total amount of $7,327.11 to be available for expenditures for the 2020-21 fiscal year.
M. Fundraising Requests – Motion by Mr. Patterson, seconded by Mr. Stroner, to approve fundraisers for: Middle School Kona Ice; Middle School Student Council Penny War; Webster City HS Cross Country to sell apparel; High School Girls Basketball to host a 4th-8th grade basketball tournament; High School Boys Soccer to sell apparel; WC Rocketry Club to host a trivia night; High School Cheerleading to host a kids cheer camp; and Football Booster Club to sell Adrenaline cards. Motion carried.
Item 7. – Personnel
- Contract Recommendations – Motion by Mr. Pruismann, seconded by Ms. Williams, to approve the following:
- Resignation of Katy Bernard, High School ELL; Derek Turner, 7th Boys Track Coach; Tony Bussan, Assistant High School Boys Track Coach; Jessica Bailey, Head 7th Volleyball.
- Contracts of Amanda Beaulieu, High School ELL; Jodi Koestner, Paraeducator; Adriana Tellez, Paraeducator; Emily Hansen, 9th Grade Girls Basketball Coach; and Robin Streigle, Concession Stand Manager.
Item 8. – Other
- Items from the Superintendent –
- Dr. Ross shared school start details: Preschool will start September 1 and that meetings with the teacher will be scheduled by location; each building will hold conferences on August 23 and 24 to give parents a chance to have a one-to-one meetings with their child’s teacher. Middle School will hold new student orientation on August 19 from 4-7 pm. The High School will hold freshman and new student orientation on August 23rd at 6:00 pm. K-12 classes will begin on Wednesday, August 25th. At this time, there will be no cohorts, students will be social distanced as much as possible, and masks will not be required. The District will continue to watch for additional guidance to look out for the safety and health of students and staff.
- Dr. Ross provided an update on the HVAC project at Pleasant View and Sunset Heights Elementary. She gave kudos to Peterson Construction for having the rooms as ready as possible for the start of school and a video is being created to give parents, students, and staff a look at what to expect in each building.
- Dr. Ross shared that the District is required to gain input from the community regarding the ESSER II funds available for reimbursement. A survey went out and the top five areas to focus on were identified as unfinished learning, mental health, at-risk groups, technology and extra-curricular accounts.
B. Items from the Board –
- Ms. Williams asked when the teachers were going to be able to get into their rooms at Pleasant View and Sunset Heights. The first day staff are allowed back in the buildings will be Wednesday, August 11, due to construction.
- Mr. Patterson asked if all previous space at Pleasant View and Sunset Heights would be able to be used for the start of school. Since construction will be ongoing, not all spaces will be available.
- Mr. Pruismann said the rental house in Blairsburg has been surveyed and word needed to get out the public that the house was for sale. Dr. Ross will work to get information posted on the District website as well as the District Facebook page.
- Mr. Stroner said a committee has been formed for honoring coaches and preliminary information will be presented at the next board meeting.
- Mr. Stroner asked when Tyler Riley, FEH Design, would be back to talk about the facility study. Dr. Ross will contact Mr. Riley to see when he would be available to attend a work session for further discussion.
ITEM 9. – Consent Items - It was moved by Mr. Stroner, seconded by Mr. Patterson, to approve the minutes of the July 12, 2021 Board Meeting; to approve General, Schoolhouse, Lunch and Activity Fund Reports; to approve payment of the bills and claims as listed at the close of these minutes; and to approve the interfund transfer and the fundraising report. Motion carried.
ITEM 10. – Adjournment - Motion by Mr. Patterson, seconded by Mr. Stroner, to adjourn the meeting at 6:52 p.m. Motion carried.
The next Regular Board Meeting is scheduled for Monday, August 23, at 6:00 p.m. at the School Administration Office Board Room. Board Meetings are subject to change dependent upon need.
Kathy Biere, Secretary Beth Van Diest, President