January 9, 2023
The Board of Directors of the Webster City Community School District in the counties of Hamilton, Webster and Wright, State of Iowa, met in regular session, January 9, 2023, in the School Administration Office Board Room, Webster City, Iowa.
Open Comment to the Board – None.
ITEM 1. - Call to Order – The Board President called the meeting to order at 6:00 p.m.
ITEM 2. – Roll Call – Members answering roll call were Ms. Greenfield, Ms. Clarken, Mr. Stoakes, Mr. Patterson, and Ms. Van Diest. Also present were Dr. Ross, Kathy Biere, and other interested parties.
ITEM 3. – Approval of Agenda – Motion by Ms. Clarken, second by Mr. Stoakes, to approve the agenda by adding a contract recommendation. Motion carried.
ITEM 4. – Hamilton High Presentation – Danyell Artley, teacher at Hamilton High Alternative School, provided the Board with information regarding Hamilton High and her vision for the future of the program.
ITEM 5. - Discussion Items – There were none.
ITEM 6. – Action Items
- Early Retirement Applications – Motion by Mr. Stoakes, second by Mr. Patterson, to approve the early retirement applications of Evan Mossman and Kelli Reis. Motion carried.
- School Budget Review Committee (SBRC) Modified Allowable Growth for At-Risk/Drop Out Prevention – Motion by Mr. Patterson, second by Ms. Clarken, to approve the School Budget Review Committee (SBRC) Modified Allowable Growth for At-Risk/Drop Out Prevention in the amount of $640,928. Motion carried.
- Technology Plan Budget – Motion by Ms. Greenfield, second by Mr. Stoakes, to approve the five-year technology budget as presented. Motion carried.
- Signage Bids – Motion by Mr. Stoakes, second by Mr. Patterson, to table the signage bid proposals to the January 23 board meeting pending further research. Motion carried.
- Gifts to District – Motion by Mr. Stoakes, second by Ms. Clarken, to approve the anonymous donation of $2,000 to athletics to be used as needed; monetary donation from Tracy Nelson and the Town & Country Garden Club for high school choir robes; monetary donation from the Larry Nielsen family for high school scholarships; donation from Cindi Sweedler of pediatric and adult Heimlich devices; and donation from Friends of Williams of holiday gifts for NEH Elementary students. Motion carried.
- Fundraising Request – Motion by Ms. Greenfield, second by Mr. Patterson, to approve the Vocal Music Boosters to provide live music with a free will donation. Motion carried.
- Final Reading of Board Policy Series 300 Administration – Motion by Mr. Patterson, second by Ms. Greenfield, to approve the final reading of Board Policy Series 300 Administration. Motion carried.
ITEM 7. – Personnel – Motion by Ms. Clarken, second by Mr. Patterson, to approve the following:
- Contract Resignations: Beth Morgan – HS FCS Teacher
- Contract Recommendations: Allison McCollough, Preschool Paraeducator; Nick Stueland, HS Paraeducator; and Sandy Jondal, Bus Driver.
ITEM 8. – Other
- Items from Dr. Ross -
- Thank you to Evan Mossman and Kelli Reis for their years of service to the District.
- Tyler Riley will be at the January 23 board meeting to review high school construction options. Dr. Ross asked that board members send her questions for Tyler.
- There is no school for high school students on Wednesday, January 11 due to a teacher workday between semesters.
- Strategic planning meetings will be rescheduled and communicated through social media, school email, and Infinite Campus.
- Cindi Sweedler, School Nurse, received a $1,000 grant for wellness planning at NEH Elementary. Conversations have taken place regarding expanding the program District wide to at least one grade level.
- Dr. Ross and Ted Larson, Transportation Director, will attend a meeting on Tuesday with the City regarding the safe routes to school report.
- Items from the Board –
- Mr. Stoakes had follow up questions regarding the side panel of the scoreboard at the competition gym; the competition gym concession stand heating issue; the annual District maintenance schedule; NEH Elementary plans for a situation there; and the custodial staff at the high school.
ITEM 9. – Consent Items – Motion by Ms. Clarken, second by Mr. Stoakes, to approve the minutes of the December 12, 2022 meeting; to approve General, Schoolhouse, Lunch and Activity Fund Reports; payment of the bills and claims as listed at the close of these minutes; to approve the interfund transfer; to approve the fundraising report; and open enrollment update. Motion carried.
ITEM 10. - Adjournment – Motion by Mr. Patterson, second by Mr. Stoakes, to adjourn the meeting at 6:57 p.m. Motion carried.
The next Regular Board Meeting will be Monday, January 23, at 6:00 p.m. at the School Administration Office Board Room. Board Meetings are subject to change dependent upon need.
Kathy Biere, Secretary Beth Van Diest, President