Minutes - 02.13.23Minutes - 02.13.23
February 13, 2023
The Board of Directors of the Webster City Community School District in the counties of Hamilton, Webster and Wright, State of Iowa, met in regular session, February 13, 2023, in the School Administration Office Board Room, Webster City, Iowa.
Open Comment to the Board – None.
ITEM 1. - Call to Order – The Board President called the meeting to order at 6:00 p.m.
ITEM 2. – Roll Call – Members answering roll call were Ms. Greenfield, Mr. Stoakes, Mr. Patterson, and Ms. Van Diest. Ms. Clarken was absent. Also present were Dr. Ross, Kathy Biere, and other interested parties.
ITEM 3. – Approval of Agenda – Motion by Mr. Stoakes, second by Ms. Greenfield, to approve the agenda by adding a contract resignation and contract recommendation. Motion carried.
ITEM 4. – Discussion Items –
- Softball and Baseball Gate Plan – Jess Howard, Activities Director, shared her plans to start charging admission to baseball and softball games in May. Activity passes and golden passes will be honored for these events.
- Middle School Basketball and Wrestling Split Season Plan – Jess Howard, Activities Director, shared her plan to have split seasons at the Middle School next year for boys and girls basketball and boys and girls wrestling.
ITEM 5. - Action Items
- Final Reading of Board Policy 307 Succession of Authority to the Superintendent – Motion by Mr. Patterson, second by Mr. Stoakes, to approve the final reading of Board Policy 307 Succession of Authority to the Superintendent. Motion carried.
- Education Contracts – Motion by Mr. Patterson, second by Ms. Greenfield, to approve the education contracts with Des Moines Independent Community School District. Motion carried.
- Gift to District – Motion by Mr. Stoakes, second by Ms. Greenfield, to approve the monetary donation for choir robes from Van Diest Supply Company. Motion carried.
- Fundraising Request – Motion by Ms. Greenfield, second by Mr. Stoakes, to approve Advanced Food Prep to prepare meals to sell to District staff, and for the Music Boosters to sell singing valentines. Motion carried.
ITEM 6. – Personnel – Motion by Mr. Stoakes, second by Ms. Greenfield, to approve the following:
- Contract Resignations: Krystal Laughlin, Middle School Teacher; Rhonda Olmstead, Pleasant View Paraeducator; and Alexis Worden, Pleasant View Paraeducator.
- Contract Recommendations: Matt Berninghaus, Superintendent; Mike Keane, Head Cook of Preparation Kitchen at Northeast Hamilton Elementary; Beth Brown, Part-Time Food Service; and Carson Hartnett, Elementary PE Teacher.
- Transfer of: Karen Tungesvik, Pleasant View Principal to Sunset Heights Principal.
ITEM 7. – Other
- Items from Dr. Ross -
- Board Meeting Calendar – At the February 27 board meeting, Dr. Chris Greiner will provide an update on strategic planning; a closed session will be held regarding negotiations; and a work session on enrollment will take place after the regular board meeting. Emily Loughry will update the Board on the mentoring program at the March 20 board meeting.
- Congratulations to the wrestlers on being district champions and for sending five wrestlers on to the state tournament.
- An informal board meeting with Stratford will take place at 5:00 p.m. on March 20, prior to the regular board meeting at 6:00 p.m.
- The District is looking at the financial impact the loss of 35 students has on next year’s budget. The Admin Team is looking at ways to reduce costs without cutting staff and educational programming.
- The traffic engineering study is complete and approved by the City Council.
- Items from the Board –
- Ms. Van Diest gave an update on the plans for a Career Academy. The Career Academy board would like to have a work session with the Board to discuss a change in the Academy’s plans.
ITEM 8. – Consent Items – Motion by Ms. Greenfield, second by Mr. Patterson, to approve the minutes of the January 9, January 23, January 30, February 4, and February 6, 2023 meetings; to approve General, Schoolhouse, Lunch and Activity Fund Reports; payment of the bills and claims as listed at the close of these minutes; to approve the interfund transfer; to approve the fundraising report; and open enrollment update. Motion carried.
Motion by Mr. Patterson, second by Mr. Stoakes, to go into closed session at 6:36 p.m. The roll was called: aye – Greenfield, Stoakes, Patterson, Van Diest; nay – none; absent – Ms. Clarken.
ITEM 9. – Discuss the sale of real estate - Closed Session 21.5(j) to discuss the purchase or sale of particular real estate only where premature disclosure could be reasonable expected to increase the price the governmental body would have to pay for that property or reduce the price the governmental body would receive for that property. The minutes and the audio recording of a session closed under this paragraph shall be available for public examination when the transaction discussed is completed.
Motion by Mr. Patterson, second by Ms. Greenfield, to come out of closed session at 7:01 p.m. The roll was called: aye – Greenfield, Stoakes, Patterson, Van Diest; nay – none; absent – Ms. Clarken.
ITEM 10. - Adjournment – Motion by Mr. Patterson, second by Mr. Stoakes, to adjourn the meeting at 7:02 p.m. Motion carried.
The next Regular Board Meeting will be Monday, February 27, at 6:00 p.m. at the School Administration Office Board Room. Board Meetings are subject to change dependent upon need.
Kathy Biere, Secretary Beth Van Diest, President